I love carrot cake. I also love breakfast. So it would make sense that I whip up some carrot cake bars that were less sweet, made from only whole foods and would be perfect for breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack. A little experimenting in the kitchen, and I came up with this!
- 12 large medjool dates (remove pits)
- 4 large carrots (chopped)
- 1 c of shredded coconut
- 1.5 c old fashioned gluten free oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- cinnamon/nutmeg/pumpkin pie spice (to taste) I did about a teaspoon each
- 4 flax/chia eggs (vegan version) or use 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup of water
Mix carrots, dates, coconut together in the food processor until blended well.
Place mixture in a bowl and mix in the oats, salt, spices, baking soda. Then mix in the vegan egg and water.
Coat a pan with coconut oil, scoop mixture into a pan – I used an 8″ x 8″ square pan – and spread evenly.
Pop into the oven at 350 degrees F and baked for 30 mins.
Allow pan to cool and cut into bars. Try not to eat them all at once. 🙂